Donald Trump and others have suggest that Ted Cruz's status as a "natural born citizen" is in some doubt. Cruz was born in Canada to a Cuban father and an American mother. To clear up any uncertainty, however, a test to determine whether Mr. Cruz is Canadian or American is in order. I decided to draft the following quiz--perhaps a court could administer it to him and judge the results. Some questions are decidedly more subtle than others.
1. It is third down and four. What play do you call?
2. Which of the Articles of Confederation has the most enduring legacy?
A. Article 2
B. Article 5
C. Article 11
3. What is the greatest walk-off home run in a World Series?
A. Bill Mazeroski, 1960
B. Kirk Gibson, 1988
C. Joe Carter, 1990
4. Who is the most underappreciated president of the Gilded Age?
A. James Garfield
B. Chester A. Arthur
C. Benjamin Harrison
5. Who is the most impressive sprinter?
A. Carl Lewis
B. Donovan Bailey
C. Usain Bolt
6. On what day are you most inclined to consume turkey?
A. The second Monday in October
B. The fourth Thursday in November
C. The final Thursday in November
7. What tastes best atop french fries?
8. Which is the most impressive professional sports dynasty?
A. The 1960s Boston Celtics
B. The 1970s Montreal Canadiens
C. The 1990s New York Yankees
9. Who is the greatest female vocalist of recent years?
B. Céline Dion
C. Whitney Houston
10. When you are exasperated with someone, which is the best retort?
A. Take off!
B. Get lost!
C. Make like a tree, and get outta here!
Canadian answers: 1. C, 2. C, 3. C, 4. B, 5. B, 6. A, 7. C, 8. B, 9. B, 10. A
Incidentally, certain answers are designed to reveal whether one is truly a conservative. Identifying Article 2 of the Articles of Confederation (states' rights) or the last Thursday in November ("Republican Thanksgiving") are important clues for any conservative Republican candidate's platform.